Climate Impact Group Meeting 21st October

Climate Impact Group Meeting Minutes 21st October 2020. Download a PDF version here.

Attendees

Helen Dobby | Environment Agency (Chair)
Dave Watkins | Cornwall Council
Ellie Rowlands | Devon Climate Emergency
Emily Reed | Devon Climate Emergency
Doug Eltham | Devon County Council
Wendy Harding | Environment Agency
Elliott Batty | Local Resilience Forum Secretariat
Alex Rainbow | Cornwall Council
Alexander Thompson | NHS England
Laurence Couldrick | Westcountry Rivers Trust
Ruth Rockley | Cornwall Council
Sara Gibbs | Public Health England
Rebecca Mitchell | University of Exeter

Apologies

Tanya Saker | Council of the Isles of Scilly
Dom Maxwell-Batten | Devon County Council
Harriet Googe | Environment Agency
Tom Dauben| Environment Agency
Richard Merrifield | Public Health Devon
Lesley Newport | Environment Agency
Peter Chamberlain | Devon County Council
Penny Tranter | Met Office

1. Minutes of the Previous Meeting

Minutes ACCEPTED as a true record

Actions carried over:

ACTION Tom to update the map in the flood risk narrative to include the Isles of Scilly.

ACTION Tom, Helen and Dave Watkins to speak further to ensure the impacts outlined in the flood narrative are correct for Cornwall, but Dave advised that this should not prevent progress to the next stage of the project.

ACTION Laurence and Helen to share the natural environment narrative with the Cornwall LNP. This will be done at its next meeting and feedback will be requested.

2. Progress Since 16th September on Initial Climate Risk Review:

a.     Climate Projections Narrative

Penny has confirmed that the necessary amendments to the Climate Projections narrative will be ready by the 6th November. Following this, it can be published online.

ACTION: Emily to arrange with Penny and Elliott for this version to be prepared.

b.     Health Narrative

Sara reported that Public Health England has been able to comment on the narrative. This is now with Helen for sharing with Cornwall via the Strategic Infrastructure Group.

ACTION: Helen to share the draft health narrative to share with Cornwall via the Strategic Infrastructure Group and feedback.

c.     Social and Economic Narrative

Becky has received drafts of the flood risk, natural environment, health and climate projections documents. Due to term-time pressures the narrative around social and economic risks has not progressed.

It was AGREED that identifying the risks and incorporating these into the emerging risk register should be the priority, and the narrative can follow afterwards.

ACTION: Becky to identify risk gaps and feed these into the risk register.

d.     Environment Agency Review of Chapters

Helen reported that resource is in place to do this over the next month.

3. Compiling the Risk Register and Scoring Risks

Emily shared a simplified risk register template based on that used by the Local Resilience Forum (LRF) model. Elliot advised that he is content with the simplification for this purpose.

It was AGREED that the ‘risk reference’ needs to be unique to this climate assessment so that they don’t get confused with similar risks already recorded by the LRF.

The Group discussed how to apply ‘impact’ and ‘likelihood’ scales to climate risks, which are inherently different to the types of risks that the LRF usually manages.

Helen said that the Red, Amber, Green rating works well because it’s how organisations are used to managing risks.

It was AGREED that narrative authors will help populate the matrix will the risks that have identified and record the gross impacts on, for example, people, economy, environment etc. Once the range of impacts is known we can then set up a categorisation scale from 1 – 5 for impact and likelihood to apply a prioritisation.

The Group AGREED that we mustn’t get tied up in the detail of this as the purpose is just to identify gaps in preparedness for the identified risks and prioritise activity to fill those gaps. Qualitative descriptions of impacts are fine as in many cases we don’t have the granular information available on a quantitative level. It was further AGREED that the confidence of the impacts should be recorded in the matrix.

The Group discussed the recording of the likelihood of the impacts and over what timescale we are talking about. This is different to how the LRF assess risks. Becky suggested a minimum of 20 years hence seemed sensible to clearly delineate responsibility between the LRF existing arrangements and what this initiative is attempting to achieve. No firm conclusion was reached at this time but will picked up in a subsequent workshop.

It was AGREED that the Group will have a first attempt at populating the matrix and subsequently follow up with a workshop to solve issues that arise.

ACTION: Emily to add further columns for the recording of gross impacts.

ACTION: Narrative authors to add their identified risks to the matrix with a description of gross impacts where known, ideally quantified, but qualitive descriptions are fine too.

ACTION: Elliot will have a chat to Neil Hamlyn about how to record the timescales and likelihood of the risks.

It was AGREED that the next meeting will proceed as scheduled as a catch-up meeting and also a workshop will be scheduled to go through risks in detail.

ACTION: Emily to catch up with Helen about scheduling a workshop.   

4. AOB

None

5. Close