Climate Impact Group Meeting 22nd January

Climate Impact Group Meeting Minutes 22nd January 2021. Download a PDF version here.

Attendees

Helen Dobby | Environment Agency (Chair)
Alex Rainbow | Cornwall Council
Dave Watkins | Cornwall Council
Emily Reed | Devon Climate Emergency
Hannah Oliver| Devon Climate Emergency
Wendy Harding | Environment Agency
Elliott Batty | Local Resilience Forum Secretariat
Harriet Googe | Environment Agency
Tom Dauben| Environment Agency
Neil Hamlyn | Local Resilience Forum Manager
Jacqui Warren | Torbay Council
Sara Gibbs | Public Health England
Penny Tranter | Met Office
James Cooper | Environment Agency
Lesley Newport | Environment Agency

anchor link

Apologies

Mark Holmes | Cornwall Council
Ruth Tockley | Cornwall Council
Tanya Saker | Council of the Isles of Scilly
Lindy Woodage| Devon and Cornwall Police
Tom Cunningham | Devon and Cornwall Police
Amanda Palmer| Devon County Council
Peter Chamberlain | Devon County Council
Dom Maxwell-Batten | Devon County Council
Doug Eltham | Devon County Council
Jenny Shellens | Ministry of Housing, Communities
Alexandar Thompson| NHS
Richard Merrifield | Public Health Devon
Nick Young | Public Health England
Robert Scarrott | South West Water
Sarah Swainbank | South West Water
Rebecca Mitchell | University of Exeter
Laurence Couldrick | Westcounty Rivers Trust

1. Minutes of the Previous Meeting

Minutes ACCEPTED as a true record

Actions carried over:

ACTION Becky to identify risk gaps and feed these into the risk register

ACTION Emily to cross reference the CIG risk register with the national risk register by the Committee on Climate Change to check for omissions

ACTION: Helen to share the risk register with colleagues for overview 

2. Progress Since 21st October:

Jacqui Warren, Torbay Council, was welcomed to the group.  

 The climate risks register and scoring risks 

a.     Progress on initial filling in of risk register by narrative leads 

Emily thanked the group for populating the climate risk register template spreadsheet and confirmed that these have been amalgamated into a single draft.  

Tom Dauben requested that Emily check all risks had been incorporated as it appeared there was an omission. 

ACTION: Emily to check all risks identified have been added 

Helen thanked Elliot and Neil for the progress they have made on preparing for the climate risk scoring moderation workshop, with the help of Emily. 

b.     Purpose and format of upcoming workshop on climate risks 

Elliot introduced the proposed agenda for the upcoming workshop to moderate the scoring of the identified climate impacts.  

Elliot explained the guidance on scoring prepared for participants. As many of the group have experience of the LRF scoring system it was felt that it ought to feel familiar.  

Helen agreed that the similarity to existing risk scoring systems was advantageous to the future communication of the risks to other bodies. Helen stressed for all to remember that this is an initial high-level attempt to assess the risks, which will generate learnings and be refined. Key is that we identify the comparative risk of the impacts identified.  

Neil suggested that the layout of the spreadsheet could be improved to aid clarity. 

The timescale over which the risks are being assessed was raised. Elliot proposed that the scoring could be repeated for a variety of timescales e.g. 10 to 15 years, 15 to 25 years, however this would take longer than the workshop may allow. 

Neil raised concerns about the implications for the likelihood scoring over longer time periods, as the LRF usually score based on a 12-month period. There can be a tendency to over score the likelihood.  

It was AGREED that the workshop will assess the risks for a 10 to 15-year period to pilot the scoring process.  

James requested having a commonly understood brief statement of climate projections for the time period considered in the workshop. 

ACTION: Emily to talk with Penny about providing succinct information on the climate projections for the agreed period as a basis for the risk assessment. 

ACTION: Helen, Emily and Elliot to meet prior to the workshop to incorporate the recommendations from the meeting. 

Tom suggested that going forward we could learn from the approach taken by shoreline management plans. For example, that the response to risks is not based arbitrarily on time periods, but instead by whether trigger or tipping points had been crossed. Emily agreed that this was a helpful approach that should be explored further in future and that it reminded her of examples of Dynamic Adaptive Policy Pathways which might have relevance. ACTION: All to try the scoring system pre-workshop, if people have time and send any feedback back to Elliot

3. AOB

Emily introduced the MET Office City Pack for Exeter. 

ACTION: Emily to share the MET Office City Pack and the request for feedback. 

Penny informed the group that several upcoming workshops at the MET Office are of relevance to the group. ACTION: Penny to share details of upcoming relevant MET Office workshops.

5. Close latest

Next meeting:   27th January 15.15 Climate Impacts Risk Scoring Moderation Workshop