Climate Impact Group Meeting 26th April

Climate Impact Group Meeting Minutes 26th April 2021. Download a PDF version here.

Attendees

Helen Dobby | Environment Agency (Chair)
Alex Rainbow | Cornwall Council
Dave Watkins | Cornwall Council
Emily Reed | Devon Climate Emergency
Hannah Oliver| Devon Climate Emergency
Doug Eltham| Devon County Council
Harriet Googe | Environment Agency
Tom Dauben| Environment Agency
Laurence Couldrick | Westcountry Rivers Trust
Sara Gibbs | Public Health England
Robert Scarrott | South West Water

Apologies

Peter Chamberlain | Devon County Council
Hannah Fox |
Elliot Batty | Local Resilience Forum Secretariat
Neil Hamlyn | Local Resilience Forum Manager
Penny Tranter | Met Office

1. Minutes of the Previous Meeting

Minutes ACCEPTED as a true record

2. Progress with climate risk register

The Secretariat updated the group that the scores from January’s workshop have been incorporated into the latest draft of the Climate Risk Register. A column to record the urgency category of each risk has also been added.  

3. Timetable and resourcing

The Secretariat presented an updated timetable for discussion. This would result in the partner organisations signing off a draft Adaptation Plan for consultation in November 2021, with a public consultation taking place in January 2022. A final plan would then be produced for adoption for summer 2022.

It was AGREED that without further dedicated resource to support the group that this was a challenging timetable. Tom Dauben highlighted an opportunity for seed funding through the upcoming Devon and Cornwall plan refresh bid.

Dave Watkins raised that there was a learning opportunity from the development of community scale adaptation plans in Parr.

ACTION: The group will pursue further funding and resource to support the development of the Adaptation Plan.

ACTION: Tom Dauben to draft a scope for what we want funding for and share.

ACTION: Doug to arrange for an intern with a task and finish remit to add resource to the group for a few weeks.

ACTION: Helen Dobby to draft a letter to the District Councils and Unitary Authorities to ask for their involvement in developing the Adaptation Plan.

ACTION: Dave Watkins to share more about learnings from the Parr adaptation strategy development.

4. Review of National Risks added to the local register

The national risks from the UK Climate Change Risk Assessment 2017 have been reviewed for their alignment with the locally identified risks, this has been recorded on the spreadsheet. Several members of the group have populated and updated the spreadsheet indicating which national risks not previously identified locally were relevant. However, there are some outstanding for the group to consider.

ACTION: All to check that they have reviewed the rows indicated for their attention by their names in column D for if the risk is relevant to DCIoS.

ACTION: Helen Dobby to raise the relevant risks with Rob Scarrott in an upcoming meeting with him.

5. Progress made on:

a. Confirming lead strategic-level actor and assessors

The Secretariat updated the group that progress has been made on populating the Risk Register with lead strategic-level actor and assessors.

ACTION: Please add any additional lead strategic-level actors relevant to the management of the risks which you are aware of in column G.

b. Identifying additional stakeholders

ACTION: Please add any additional stakeholders relevant to the management of the risks which you are aware of in column I.

c. Identifying existing controls and reporting mechanisms

The Secretariat has listed in purple when there is a relevant organisation which is listed nationally under the Climate Change Act Adaptation Reporting Power. Some other controls and reporting mechanisms have also been identified.

ACTION: Please add any additional existing controls and reporting mechanism for the risks listed which you are aware of in column J and K.

ACTION: Emily to amalgamate the updates into the master copy of the Climate Risk Register and in future to send a “shared” version to make future amendments easier.

5. AOB

Tom Dauben shared an example visualization of future modelling for Bude’s high tides, showing the need for coastal adaptation.

It was AGREED that this technique or similar could be valuable for communicating the main messages of the DCIoS Adaptation Plan. This could be for not only coastal communities, but inland habitats and riverine areas.