Climate Impact Group Minutes 13th January 2020

Devon Climate Emergency Climate Impacts Group minutes 13th January 2020. Click here to view a PDF of the minutes.

Attendance:

  • Neil Hamlyn
    • Local Resilience Forum (LRF) Manager (Chair in Paul Netherton’s Absence)
  • Peter Chamberlain
    • Devon County Council
  • Insp Tom Cunningham
    • Devon and Cornwall Police
  • Lindy Woodage
    • Staff Officer to Paul Netherton, Devon and Cornwall Police
  • Penny Tranter
    • Met Office
  • Dave Trevains
    • Environment Agency
  • Becky Mitchell
    • University of Exeter
  • Nick Young
    • Public Health England

Summary:

  1. CIG was originally tasked through the LRF to do two things:
    • Identify the current risks held on the Community Risk Register that specifically ascertain to climate impact over the next 10-20 years. The few experts gathered on the group form the Met Office, Environment Agency, Public Health England and Exeter University would then consider how these risks would change over that period.
    • To create an itinerary and coordinate a conference to be held at the Met Office.
  2. It was agreed that the Met Office’s draft climate change projections report should be the only output for this group at this time and that those identified below would add sections as appropriate.
    • Lindy to produce a template for the team to ensure consistency in content. This will be based on some of the health material that Nick and Peter already hold.
    • Dave will look at inserting information about sea levels as part of the Environment Agency content.
    • Nick to produce a health narrative.
    • Peter to ask his contacts to produce natural environment narrative.
    • Becky and Penny should consider global politics and scientific discoveries as narratives within the product
    • Becky to carry out a final review of the document to fill gaps, edit appropriately, remove duplication, and summarise any findings.
  3. A deadline of 15 May 2020 was agreed to have the review of risks completed.
  4. It was agreed that no further work should be done on the conference and that this would be handed back to CERG to make a decision on how to progress this.
  5. Peter to brief Doug Eltham and review Climate Impacts Group Terms of Reference to consider:    
    • Membership expansion to also include Local Nature Partnership and others
    • Chair; expected to be the Environment Agency and not the Local Resilience Forum due to Paul Netherton’s changing national role.
    • LRF expected to be a stakeholder moving forward
  6. Lindy to brief Paul Netherton on the outcome of this meeting.
  7. As Neil is a member of the DCERG he will brief them on 16 Jan 2020 on the findings and actions of this meeting. 

Actions:

ACTION 01: Lindy Woodage to produce a template for the team to complete content for the product

ACTION 02: Dave Trevains to produce an EA narrative including sea level information

ACTION 03: Nick Young to produce a health narrative

ACTION 04: Peter to ask his contacts to produce natural environment narrative

ACTION 05: Neil to produce an LRF narrative explaining what the LRF do and listing the reviewed risks

ACTION 06: Becky and Penny should consider global politics and scientific discoveries as narratives.

ACTION 07: Becky to carry out a final review of the document to fill gaps, edit appropriately, remove duplication, and summarise any findings.

ACTION 08: Lindy to brief Paul Netherton on the outcome of this meeting

ACTION 09: Peter to review CIG ToRs and brief Doug Eltham.

ACTION 10. Product completion deadline will be 15 May 2020.

ACTION 11: Neil to brief the DCERG on the outcome of this meeting.