DCERG Minutes 13th February

Devon Climate Emergency Response Group – minutes of meeting 13th February 2020. Download a PDF copy of the minutes here.

Attendees:

  • Doug Eltham                          
    • Devon County Council (Chaired this session)
  • Emily Bullock
    • SW Ambulance Trust Service
  • Emily Reed
    • Devon County Council
  • Ellie Rowlands
    • Devon County Council
  • Tracey Polak
    • Public Health Devon
  • Katie Snook
    • Environment Agency
  • Tamasine Matthews
    • Devon and Cornwall Police
  • Bruce Luxton
    • Exeter City Council
  • Ken Miles
    • North Devon District Council
  • Dan Ulanowksy
    • Pennon Group
  • Natalie Daikin
    • South Hams and West Devon Councils
  • Jenny Wallace
    • Torridge District Council
  • Andrew Butler
    • National Farmers’ Union
  • Theresa Farris
    • Devon Clinical Commissioning Group

Apologies:

  • Phil Norrey                             
    • Devon County Council (Chair)
  • Harry Barton
    • Devon Wildlife Trust
  • James Szymankiewicz
    • Natural Devon
  • Mel Squires
    • National Farmers’ Union
  • Emma Page
    • University of Exeter
  • Penny Tranter
    • Met Office
  • Neil Hamlyn
    • Devon, Cornwall and Isles of Scilly Local Resilence Forum
  • Peter Chamberlin
    • Devon County Council
  • Virginia Pearson
    • Public Health Devon
  • Helen Dobby
    • Environment Agency

1) Minutes of the previous meeting

The minutes of the previous meeting were AGREED as a true record of the discussion.

Matters arising are addressed on the main agenda and in the Progress Report appended to these minutes.

2) Project Progress Report

2.1) Project Management Update

Doug Eltham provided an update reflecting Section 1 of the Progress Report appended to these minutes.

The Group noted progress with conversations with regional partners regarding the use of the climate emergency as a material planning consideration.

ACTION: Share with the Response Group partners the specification for the legal advice once it is drafted by the Devon Planning Officers Group. This will need a quick turnaround for comments.

2.2) Update from the Net-Zero Task Force

Emily Reed provided an update reflecting Section 2 of the Progress Report appended to these minutes.

The Group noted the completion of the Net-Zero Devon report by the University of Exeter. This will be published online in the next period.

ACTION: Share the Net-Zero Devon report with the Response Group. 

The Response Group noted the revised estimates for the Citizens’ Assembly. Devon County Council will absorb these costs.

2.3) Update on the Climate Impacts Group

Doug Eltham provided an update reflecting Section 3 of the Progress Report appended to these minutes.

2.4) Communications Plan

Ellie Rowlands introduced the draft Communications Plan which has received comment from the Tactical Group.

ACTION: All to feedback comments on the draft Communications Plan to Devon County Council by Thursday 20th February.

3) Local Updates

Partner organisations provided brief updates of activity contributing to the implementation of the Devon Climate Declaration, which included:

North Devon District Council – Ken Miles reported that there will be a week of events at the end of March that will encourage the sharing of local initiatives between communities and parishes. This is being operated in partnership with 361 Energy, a local community energy organisation. Emily Reed and Ellie Rowlands are meeting with 361 Energy on the 20th February to learn more about this.

Pennon Group – Dan Ulanowsky shared that Pennon is producing a group climate change strategy that will reflect the Water UK commitment for the water industry to be net-zero carbon by 2030.

ACTION: Dan Ulanowsky to put Ellie Rowlands in touch with the Pennon communications team to share this initiative more widely.

Devon Clinical Commissioning Group – Theresa Farris reported that the CCG has signed the Devon Climate Declaration and is working on an internal strategy and communications plan to engage staff about this.

4) Next Meeting

Next meeting is the 17th March 14:00 – 15:00.